Imagine this…you just started a new workout routine and you are energized and ready to go. You hit the gym every day after work or even wake up an hour early to burn calories. Fast forward a few weeks or even a few months and you simply don’t feel like working out. It’s unlikely that you’re unmotivated. However, you might be burnt out. So how do we avoid burnout when it comes to our fitness routine? Below are six tips to help you reach your goals without giving up.
Six Tips for Avoiding Burn Out
- Set a realistic schedule. A program that forces you to work out every single day is a sure way to burn out quickly. Instead, look at your calendar. How many days a week can you truly dedicate to exercise with everything on your schedule? Use that as a starting place to build your weekly workout schedule. Hint: this might change weekly. Sick kids? Travel plans? Use your calendar to schedule your workouts around your life and you might be more likely to stick with it.
- Get efficient. Choose a workout routine that works with your time frame so you feel successful and see results. If you are struggling to get in a full hour workout, aim for a shorter workout and if you have more time, you can always add on an extra round!
- Evaluate your exercise intensity. Is your workout too intense, just right, or do you need a boost? If you’re feeling burnt out, your workouts may be too intense. Don’t be afraid to dial it back a notch if you don’t feel like exercising
- Engage in Active Recovery. Build-in workout recovery days. This doesn’t mean you have to lounge on the couch all day. Try restorative yoga, walking, stretching, or even a gentle swim.
- Choose Fun. Pick activities you enjoy (dance, yoga, kickboxing, running) and work those into your routine. Adding variety might give you the boost you need to get in your other workouts.
- Take Rest. Finally, take a week off for fun and use that time to do something for yourself so you are energized and ready to get back to your routine! This could be spending time with friends or family, reading a book, taking a nap, working on your hobby, planning out healthy meals for the week, or anything that sounds like fun to you!
Looking to get into a new workout routine?
Check out The Lean Mom’s program and receive a workout program designed to keep you moving! This online program is designed for the mom who is 1+ year postpartum and ready for a full workout and nutrition routine. At LJW we use evidence-based methods to provide a fat-loss program that is body-positive and sustainable for the busy mom.